Student success is a priority at UMBC. As a primary goal of the university’s strategic plan, Academic Advocates are committed to increasing degree completion and shortening time to degree as part of the Student Experience.
Academic Advocates are dedicated to serving undergraduates who are admitted as first-time, full-time, degree-seeking students to assist them in resolving academic and institutional challenges that may adversely affect persistence, progression and timely completion of degree.
Undergraduate students identified, or those referred, who may be experiencing barriers to graduation will receive direct outreach from an Academic Advocate to address issues in a timely manner. No matter how complex the concerns (i.e., personal, academic, or financial), Academic Advocates will work together with students to review their progress, present options toward graduation, map out a plan for success, and facilitate communication and connections with the appropriate resources.
Services provided by Academic Advocates include:
- Early outreach with students to enhance persistence, progression, and timely completion of degree
- Coordinated care/case management to connect students to appropriate university resources and services
- Guidance for students in navigating institutional policies, processes, and petitions
- Individual student appointments for academic success
- Response to individual student inquiries and faculty/staff referrals to assess and address academic matters that may be barriers to graduation