The Academic Success Center is looking for students like you to help UMBC students claim their future.
If you are interested in working for the Academic Success Center, click on the position below to learn more.
Become a Subject Tutor
All tutors are UMBC students with at least a 3.0 GPA and 28 credits, who have been recommended by an instructor and have agreed to go through our certified training program.
Subject tutors may tutor students one-to-one, in small groups, and on a drop-in basis.
Tutors are expected to:
- Attend mandatory tutor training sessions or tutor meetings as appropriate.
- Model and teach appropriate learning and study techniques to students to encourage independent learning.
- Adjust tutoring techniques to allow for students’ diversity.
- Be committed to tutoring for the entire semester(s) of employment.
- Complete all record-keeping tasks in an accurate and timely manner.
- Encourage students to follow attendance and cancellation procedures and to complete evaluations as they become available.
- Refer all problems and concerns, particularly student issues that are non-academic, to their supervisor.
Become a Writing Tutor
Students interested in becoming Writing Center tutors may submit materials to the Writing Center Director, Elaine MacDougall, by emailing her at email@example.com. Interested candidates must include a letter of recommendation (preferably from a college professor) and a writing sample.
The Director will first contact students for an interview, then grant permission for students to take ENGL 321, a 4-credit course that teaches aspects of identity in writing, writing center theory and practice, and peer tutoring methods. While taking the course, students work as interns in the Writing Center. After successfully completing the course, students are hired by the ASC as paid writing tutors. Students may also take additional tutor training through the ASC’s nationally recognized CRLA Tutor Certification Program. All ASC tutors must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above. Please reach out if you are interested!
Become an SI PASS Leader
SI PASS Leaders are crucial to the program’s success, attending the course they support, and leading two weekly study sessions, plus exam review sessions. They are model students who have succeeded in the course they support and have been recommended by faculty. They attend ongoing online and in-person training, participating in and leading mock-SI PASS sessions for their peers. SI PASS Leaders are observed, evaluated and given feedback through one-on-one meetings with their supervisors.
Students who are interested may apply through our website.
Become an Academic Peer Advocate
The Academic Peer Advocate (APA) Program pairs incoming first-time, full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students with trained and compassionate peers dedicated to providing individualized support during their transition to college. APA’s mission is to empower their peers to take advantage of the appropriate campus resources and to confidently seek help when needed. APA’s connect students to the First-Year Academic Advocate for coordinated care when there are complicated barriers to navigate.
- Must be a current undergraduate student who has completed at least two semesters at UMBC
- Must be in good judicial and academic standing (at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA)
- We are looking for a diverse group of students who possess the following:
- A desire and the ability to work with a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Leadership potential and problem-solving skills
- Strong study skills and successful student habits and behaviors
- Willingness to share personal academic experiences with peers
Please fill out the interest form below or email Amanda Sharp at firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Student Reception Staff Member
This is a Federal Work Study funded position. To qualify, you must apply for a Federal Work Study award through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship. Once you have received your award, please contact our office to apply for the position.